Thursday, February 12, 2009

Typos

Typos

Dear Editor,

Thanks for publishing my column �chilarum chilathum�.

Off late I find that there are intolerable amount of typographic errors in almost all the articles published in puzha (I had mentioned this in Responses earlier). More specifically, my articles too are seen with many errors, not just typos, but also those that even take away the very essence of my discussion points.

This is the second time I checked the published version with my original manuscript to confirm that they were not the mistakes on my part. For example, in the latest one (�Victor Linneus�), �open-air air-conditioning� is given as �open airconditioning� (the very originality of Victor was in conceiving �open-air air-conditioning�. Another one is, �bus-stoppilEkku� natakkumpOL became �bus-stoppil� natakkumpOL. Blitz became �blitzer�).

I have a strong feeling that you are getting the original manuscripts (written using the Malayalam software chowara editor / font) retyped by a person not very familiar with the language and its beauty. All the punctuations are mauled. Editing is to remove the mistakes of the author, not to add mistakes to the manuscript.

If puzha magazine is not using chowara editor/font any more and you are getting the manuscripts retyped to convert them to some other system, please let us know. I can submit my articles in any other word-processing platform you need. But I feel that retyping originals obliterates the very spirit of digital word processing and web-publishing, and is not necessary; it will only add mistakes of the typist to the original.

Best wishes and regards.

Dr G. Narayana Swamy

narayana@nio.org
gnswamy@email.com

Click here for the article
-Narayana Swamy, Goa,